June’s top news stories

The City of London Corporation has secured a £500,000 grant to help cut emissions from boats, and Hapag-Lloyd has introduced a real-time container monitoring system. Ship-technology.com wraps up the key headlines from June 2019.

City of London gets grant to cut boat emissions on Thames

The City of London Corporation secured a £500,000 grant to help cut emissions from boats using the River Thames.

Funding comes from the Mayor of London’s Air Quality Fund.

The pollution reduction initiative will be coordinated by the Cross River Partnership (CRP) with support from the Port of London Authority (PLA), with the City of London Corporation to act as the lead authority.

Hapag-Lloyd unveils IoT-powered real-time container monitoring system

Germany-based container shipping firm Hapag-Lloyd introduced a real-time container monitoring system to offer improved logistics monitoring.

Named Hapag-Lloyd LIVE, the new supply chain monitoring solution leverages the latest internet of things (IoT) technology.

It provides carriers with GPS location, temperature information and power-off alerts for containers in real-time.

Greek shipping firm Dryships fully acquires Heidmar

Greek dry bulk shipping firm Dryships acquired 100% of the issued and outstanding shares of tanker pool operator Heidmar.

Dryships indirectly owned almost 49.8% of Heidmar and acquired the remaining 50.2% stake from other unaffiliated entities, including American investment bank Morgan Stanley, for $17m.

The transaction received approval from the independent directors of Dryships.

Wärtsilä secures first contract for auto-docking system

Finland-based marine technology company Wärtsilä secured the first order for its newly launched auto-docking system SmartDock.

The Wärtsilä SmartDock system automates docking procedures and lowers chances of human error that can occur as ship officers are required to complete technical manoeuvres multiple times a day.

According to the company, the system is suitable for larger ferries, which are required to enter and leave tight docking spaces with a significant possibility of forceful collisions with dock walls.

PortX and Helm partner to create AI-based vessel dispatch system

PortX and Helm Operations formed an artificial intelligence-based (AI) vessel dispatching tool, combining a service each to improve harbour towing.

Under the agreement, PortX’s terminal dispatching system OptiPort, powered by AI, will be merged with the harbour dispatching and operations software Helm CONNECT.

As well as helping ship operators to save over $1m a port every year, OptiPort will signal annual savings of $200,000 for each tug by reducing fuel consumption, crew overtime and chartering of third-party tugs.

Samsung Heavy Industries secures contract to build two LNG carriers

South Korea-based shipbuilder Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) secured a contract to construct two liquefied natural gas (LNG) carriers.

In a stock exchange announcement, SHI said that the company has won the order valued at approximately KRW450bn ($381m) from a Bermuda-registered client.

The shipbuilder said that the LNG carriers are scheduled to be delivered by the end of June 2022.

ABB introduces power distribution system for smaller vessels

ABB released a DC-based power distribution system known as Onboard Microgrid to help smaller vessels improve fuel efficiency.

The newly launched power distribution system operates on the principles of ABB’s power distribution system Onboard DC Grid, which is said to offer up to 20% energy efficiency for larger ships.

The company expects its newly launched compact solution to enable smaller, lower-power vessels operating over short distances to achieve similar efficiencies.

DMCO and IMDO sign MoU to strengthen maritime collaboration

The Dubai Maritime Cluster Office (DMCO) of Dubai Maritime City Authority (DMCA) and the Irish Maritime Development Office (IMDO) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to strengthen collaborations.

Under the MoU, the partners will help promote trade, carry out joint initiatives, and promote research to build a smart and sustainable maritime platform for offshore operations and businesses.

The entities will collectively promote trade across infrastructure and maritime spectrum around the world and recognise mutually beneficial initiatives in key maritime areas.

Morocco increases Tanger Med port capacity with new terminal

MSC awards contract to MacGregor for cargo systems upgrade

Switzerland-based Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC) signed a contract with MacGregor and Guangzhou Wenchong Dockyard for cargo systems upgrade.

Upgrades will be carried out during the drydocking of six 16,000 twenty-foot equivalent (TEU) containerships in 2020.

The enhancements are aimed at reducing emissions from the vessels and boost their operational performance.

Companies Intelligence

More Features

View More