The first berth of the INR25bn ($548m) Dighi Port in Maharashtra, India, will be commissioned by December 2010 to enable the faster movement of cargo in the western region of the nation.

The remaining berths will be ready by 2011.

The port will have a capacity of 30 million tons in the first phase, which will include three berths.

Dighi Port has already begun lighterage operations and has handled 1.8 million tons cargo.

The port’s total capacity will rise to 90 million tons when the third phase is completed.

Balaji Infra Projects holds an 80% stake in the project with IL&FS holding the remaining 20%, according to

Dighi Port is expected to address the coal-handling facilities of the state of Maharashtra, which currently needs around 12 million tons of coal to power its plants.