Understand the impact of the Ukraine conflict from a cross-sector perspective with the Global Data Executive Briefing: Ukraine Conflict

State-owned company Bangladesh Shipping Corporation is requesting $22.4m from its insurer, Sadharan Bima Corporation, after its cargo ship Banglar Samriddhi was hit by a missile in Ukraine earlier this month.

This is the first major insurance claim to be made as a result of the Russia-Ukraine war, reported Reuters, citing government officials.

Last week, the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) announced plans for the creation of a safe maritime corridor, which would allow ships caught in high-risk areas of the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov to pass through.

Bangladesh-flagged Banglar Samriddhi was hit by a missile during explosions at night from 2 to 3 March, and one crew member was killed. The other 28 crew members have been evacuated to Bangladesh.

The Bangladeshi vessel has been stuck at the Olvia port since 24 February due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Kyiv has accused Moscow of targeting its port facilities.

While dismissing claims of targeting civilians or merchant ships, the Russian embassy in Dhaka stated that the circumstances of the incident are ‘being established’.

According to a source from Sadharan Bima, the war risk insurance for the vessel is provided by Sadharan Bimam and reinsured by Lloyd’s of London broker Tysers.

The source also noted that Shadharan Bima’s insurance exposure to the vessel is 10% while the remaining 90% is covered by Tysers.

According to a senior Bangladesh Shipping official, the vessel did not have cargo on board when it reached the port in Ukraine.