Carnival has established a cruise joint venture (JV) in China with China State Shipbuilding Corporation (CSSC).

Named as CSSC Carnival Cruise Shipping Limited, the new JV will serve the Chinese leisure market by the end of next year.

Carnival’s existing cruise ship Costa Atlantica will be transferred to the JV by the end of 2019, while its sister ship Costa Mediterranea will be transferred as part of the arrangement.

The JV will also acquire two new ships, which will be built by Shanghai Waigaoqiao Shipbuilding Co (SWS) in Shanghai.

It will provide technical and project service support to SWS during the ship-building process.

Under Project Cerulean, Fiji’s University of the South Pacific (USP) and China Navigation Company (CNCo) have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for the development of low-carbon ships for the Pacific region.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

The project aims to develop a new cargo freighter named Project Ship. The firms will examine the project delivery after sea trials of the Project Ship.

Upon confirmation of the commercial viability of the freighter, ships will be delivered to the marginalised communities in the Pacific Island Communities and Territories (PICT).

Project Ship will be initially designed, built and tested for PICT, in partnership with Micronesian Centre for Sustainable Transport (MCST).

CNCo will invest between $2.5m and $3m for a low-cost, low-carbon, low-tech freighter to be built in the South Pacific.

“The partnership enables Kongsberg to develop new hybrid power solutions with Leclanche’s batteries.”

ClassNK and TÜV Rheinland have entered a partnership agreement for the development of an efficient and realistic cybersecurity certification scheme for the maritime industry.

Based in Japan, ClassNK is a ship classification society, while TÜV Rheinland is involved in testing, inspection and certification of digital services to provide safety, cybersecurity and privacy.

ClassNK will collaborate with TÜV Rheinlandwork on the cybersecurity guidelines that target on-board software being developed by ClassNK, under the partnership.

The entities will collaborate in the cybersecurity field to ensure the vessels safety by leveraging their knowledge and expertise.

Torm, ME Production, and Guangzhou Shipyard International (GSI) have established a new joint venture (JV) called ME Production China.

The JV will manufacture and install scrubbers on new-build and retrofitted vessels in China.

TORM owns a 27.5% stake in the JV, which will provide scrubbers to ensure the operators comply with the new International Maritime Organisation (IMO) regulation.

The regulation will come into force from 1 January 2020 and reduce sulphur emissions from the current 3.5% to 0.5%.

Kongsberg Maritime has selected Leclanche as its battery partner and customised marine energy storage solutions supplier.

Headquartered in Switzerland, Leclanche is a provider of high-quality energy storage solutions, while Kongsberg Maritime is an international technology group.

The partnership enables Kongsberg to develop new hybrid power solutions with Leclanche’s batteries. The solution will improve efficiencies and decrease environmental impact.

Lechlanche will deliver marine battery systems with a total capacity of 45MWh for nine vessels.

The first project to use Leclanche’s solutions is Yara Birkeland, which is the world’s first autonomous and electric container vessel, while Grimaldi Green 5th Generation (GG5G) is the second project.

Citic Group and the Kyaukpyu Special Economic Zone Management Committee have signed a framework agreement for the development of a deep-sea port in Myanmar’s Kyaukpyu town.

The project will receive 70% of the funding from China and the remaining 30% from Myanmar. It will involve the construction of two berths at a cost of $1.3bn.

The $3.2bn port will be operated by a newly established joint venture. It is expected to create 100,000 jobs and provide $15bn in tax revenue to Myanmar.