Meyer Turku floats out its new Mein Schiff 4 cruise ship

13 October 2014 (Last Updated October 13th, 2014 18:30)

Finland’s Meyer Turku has floated out its newbuild cruise ship, Mein Schiff 4, which has been constructed for German cruise operator TUI Cruises, Hamburg.

Mein_Schiff_4_float out_ Meyer Turku

Finland’s Meyer Turku has floated out its newbuild cruise ship Mein Schiff 4, which has been constructed for German cruise operator TUI Cruises, Hamburg.

Last month, the Finnish Government and Meyer Werft signed a share purchase agreement with STX Europe for the acquisition of Turku shipyard and the company STX Finland Oy has been renamed Meyer Turku Oy.

Turku shipyard started the construction of Mein Schiff 4 along with the keel-laying of its sister vessel, Mein Schiff 3, in May 2013 and the newbuild vessel will be delivered to its German owner in spring 2015.

Meyer Turku Oy CEO Jan Meyer said: "We have the opportunity to witness the float-out of the first newbuild of Meyer Turku.

"We have the opportunity to witness the float-out of the first newbuild of Meyer Turku." 

"I am very pleased that Mein Schiff 4 is right on schedule. It is good to continue from here and proceed to outfitting and commissioning phases."

The new 99,500t, 294m-long cruise ship has been designed to hold around 1,250 cabins and a crew of 1,000.

In summer 2015, Mein Schiff 4 will start its voyage through the Baltic Sea to the Baltic States and in northern Europe around Norway, and later in winter, the vessel will go for a seven-day voyage to the Canary Islands, taking in Morocco or Madeira.

The shipyard will start the construction of another two ships from this class, Mein Schiff 5 and Mein Schiff 6, in November this year and 2015 respectively.

Meyer Werft holds a 70% stake in the newly formed company, while the Finnish State owns the other 30%.


Image: Meyer Turku CEO Jan Meyer and TUI Cruises CEO Wybcke Meier opened the valves to flood the dry dock. Photo: courtesy of Meyer Werft GmbH & Co. KG.