Qatar’s liquefied natural gas (LNG) sector shipping arm Nakilat has received new LNG carrier Global Energy from Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering (DSME).

The ship is the first of four newbuild LNG carriers to be delivered to Nakilat-Maran Ventures joint venture (JV).

Nakilat owns 60% of the stake in the JV, while Greek shipping company Maran owns the remaining 40% of the stake.

All four carriers are expected to be delivered by the end of next year, bringing the total number of vessels in Nakilat’s fleet to 74, which is just under 12% of existing global LNG fleet in carrying capacity.

Nakilat CEO Abdullah Al Sulaiti said: “The steady expansion of our fleet through the acquisition of these four newbuilds and the second phase fleet transition that has already commenced comes as part of our efforts to maximise returns for our shareholders and strengthen our position as the leading transporter of clean energy.”

He said that the vessels have a cargo-carrying capacity of 173,400m3 and feature some of the most advanced technology.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

Two vessels are equipped with ME-GI and the other two are fitted with X-DF propulsion technologies.

Maran Ventures chairman John Angelicoussis said: “Nakilat has been a strategic partner for many years and we are pleased to be taking delivery of this first LNG vessel under our new Global Shipping joint venture.

“We are confident these high specification vessels, built by DSME, and now managed technically and commercially by Nakilat, will provide charterers with a first-class LNG shipping service.”

In March 2018, Nakilat expanded its JV partnership with Maran Ventures to add two new LNG vessels.