Qatar-based shipping and maritime company Nakilat has received new liquefied natural gas (LNG) carrier, named Global Star, which was built by Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering (DSME).

Nakilat will commercially and technically manage the newbuild LNG carrier.

It is the second out of the four LNG carrier newbuilds to be delivered to Global Shipping, a joint venture (JV) of Nakilat and Maran Ventures.

Nakilat owns a 60% stake in the JV while Greek shipping company Maran owns the remaining 40% stake.

The first vessel, Global Energy, was delivered in May 2020.

Nakilat CEO Abdullah Al Sulaiti said: “Nakilat welcomes a new addition into our world’s largest LNG fleet, a technologically advanced newbuild that allows us to provide additional capacity and flexibility to our customers and gives us a greater competitive edge in this dynamic marketplace.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

“Technically operated and commercially managed in-house, this significant milestone bears testament to the company’s superior ship management capabilities and further affirms our global leadership position in energy transportation.

“Nakilat has been demonstrating remarkable accomplishments with the completion of fleet management transition for seven LNG carriers and delivery of one newbuild within a year, tactfully executing its strategic long-term growth as part of the efforts to optimise costs, hence, maximise returns for our shareholders.”

The vessels each have a cargo-carrying capacity of 173,400m³ and feature advanced technology.

Two vessels are equipped with ME-GI and the other two are being fitted with X-DF propulsion technologies.

Al Sulaiti added: “These vessels also feature an optimised hull design and employ other advanced technologies, which help to strengthen Nakilat’s position as the leading transporter of clean energy.”

In May 2020, Nakilat received the first new LNG carrier Global Energy from DSME.

The four newbuild LNG carriers will take Nakilat’s fleet to 74 ships.